Great Quality Knives but Maybe not the Best set
I'll start off with a disclaimer, that as a Vine member, this set was sent to me free to review. Now, I happen to be a bit of a knife snob. I've used a lot of knives and personally prefer Japanese made knives (Shun and Global are two brands here on Amazon that are quite good). However, I do use German knives from time to time as there are some types of knives that don't tend to be made by the Japanese makes.
Wusthof is well known for making some very good quality knives, and the Classic is one of their better lines. I find the German knives rather heavy in general but I was pleasantly surprised to find that these are fairly well balanced and nice to hold. The sharpness out of the box was good and holds up well if properly cared for and used. This set includes the 6-inch chef's knife, 4-1/2 inch utility and a 3-1/2 inch paring. Also included are shears and a block with spaces for just these items. Clearly the chef knife is the star of the group and the one you would use the...
Amazing value
Great knives won't make you a great cook. But they may help good cooks enjoy cooking more. Expense has been a barrier, but this new set helps lower that barrier.
Here are the details of the contents of this set (the number following the / is length in cm):
* 3.5" blade Classic Paring Knife (4066/9) with 4" long handle; 2 oz.
* 4.5" blade Classic Utility Knife (4066/12) with 4" long handle; 2.3 oz.
* 6" blade Classic Cook's Knife (4582/16) with 5" long handle, 5.8 oz.
* Pull-apart Kitchen Shears (5558-1)
* Wood (Maple) Block (7250-7)
Excellent knives, good value in a set of the most frequently used knives. Excellent kitchen counter space saver. I paired it with the Wusthof 1550 Classic 7 Inch Hollow Ground Santoku Knife With Board that comes with an 8"x12" bamboo cutting board, on which the block and Santoku knife can be kept along side for ready...
Solid Set for the Beginner
While the Wusthof Classic 5-Piece Studio Knife Set is not high end cutlery by any means, it is a reasonably well made set with good quality steel that will hold an edge. I own several Wusthof kinfs other than this set and I'm not sure they are of equal quality. The block is a little on the "rough" side fit and finish wise and the balance of the knifes is a little off. Still, the selection of knifes is good for the beginner and the blades do look to be Wusthof steel. I have to disagree with some reviewers about the sheers. A good set of kitchen sheers is a must for me. Boning poultry, stemming large greens and opening packages are just a few of the things they are needed for. While this set isn't going to make you an Iron Chef, it's a big step up from Ginsu.
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments :
Post a Comment