Innovative & Affordable
I was pleasantly surprised by this set. While it's not super heavy stainless, it's definitely not flimsy either. The walls of the pans are substantial and every pan in the set has a weighted bottom. Pyrex has incorporated some innovative features in this set that make it stand out. Overall, I think it's a great set, especially for the price. The combination of pans in this set make it a perfect starter or replacement set.
Positives
* The handles are silicone covered making them easier to grip and less likely to burn the cook. Even the 6 qt pan has silicone grips on the bottom side of the handles.
* The unique feature that allows the lids to be perched on the pans prevents the frustrating drip of water all over the stove and reduces the risk of burns from steam.
* All of the pans have pour spouts, making it easier to drain or pour the contents.
* Even with the pour spouts, the lids can adequately seal the pans when positioned correctly.
* The...
Great except for one major flaw
We bought the nonstick 10-piece set about a week ago (from a brick & mortar retailer), and thought they were wonderful, especially the measurement markings and the fact that they can go in the dishwasher as well as the oven. However, we recently noticed that around the area where the lid touches the pots, bits of the non-stick coating had been scratched off. Examining the lid revealed a seam in the metal that scrapes off the nonstick coating when you spin the lid while the lid is on the pot or pan. I called Pyrex and they said that there is nothing to be concerned about, as the area where the nonstick coating had been scratched off will not affect cooking performance. I then brought up the fact that bits of coating will end up in our food, and their reply was that the coating is non-toxic. Since I do not want to take that chance, I will be returning the set.
A great set with a lot of thoughtful touches
This is a nice stainless steel set which more that the usual finishing touches. Sure they feel good, cook evenly, and have a comfortable handle... but so do a lot of other pots and pans. What sets these apart are all the thoughtful touches that Pyrex adds.
My favorite is the measurement markings, no more filling up a big stock pot 2 cups at a time with a measuring cup... all the units are printed/etched (probably laser etched, I didn't notice any texture and it doesn't quite look like ink) right on the inside. Also pretty nice is the small lip on each pot and pan, which aids in pouring and when used with the lid, you can stain off any liquid. The other feature that's cool, but I don't think I'll get as much use out of since I have the counter space is that each lid can be held up by the pot itself (see the stock pot in the picture), but it could be a huge deal for the small kitchen.
PROS:
+ Marked measuring units in all the pots (Hmmm... My measuring bowls...
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments :
Post a Comment