Thursday, October 31, 2013

KitchenAid Gourmet Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set


A Bachelor gets a much needed upgrade.
OK, I am a bachelor, I live alone with the cat. OTOH, I am actually a fair hand in the kitchen. However, my pots and pans are a collection of thriftshop bargains and hand-me-downs, no two of which match, and several of which aren't in very good shape.

So, when I had a chance to get this cool new cookware set from the famed KitchenAid folks, I jumped on it.

And, I am glad I did. This is a pretty "cool" set (and "cool" has a double-meaning here). Each piece is well crafted and solid. No thin cheapo stuff here.

You get two saucepans, a stockpot and a sauté pan- all with good solid glass covers with the neatest silicon rubber seals I have seen. And, two fry pans.

The glass covers allow you to watch your food, while sealing in the heat and steam when needed. They also don't rattle.

They also come with a silicon rubber pad under the heavy handle. This means that a heavy pot doesn't cut into your hand when lifting, it...
Loved them until we started using them
We were really excited to get this set.

Unpacking them, we thought these will be great to use:

- The handles are sturdy and easy to grip
- The handles have hard-rubber like material underneath that make them easy to grab and not so hot
- The steel is brilliant and the finishing fantastic
- The thickness of the metal makes them feel high class and very sturdy

The problem...

We were cooking some vegetables and put the lid on the skillet. Not an uncommon thing to do, but when we checked the pot, the lid was stuck!

It wasn't that easy to work with when the pan was so hot, so we let it cool thinking that the pan and the lid would come unstuck. Nope.

Big problem, we were going out of town the next day. So not only did we not have the food we cooked, we had to put the pan in the fridge to try to work on it when we got back from our trip.

This was not a good way to get going with the...
Set apart from others by the details!
I couldn't be more pleased with this cook set. As I continue to use it I will update this review. There are a couple other sets out there that are close competition so I wanted to be clear on what makes this set different for me. I'm a single guy who doesn't always cook daily, but is not afraid to tackle "advanced" cooking techniques and real homemade from scratch food when I get the urge. I want to give a complete review so you understand what kind of cooking I do and how I use the cookware to best understand if it may fit your needs.

My background with cookware:

I'm normally a Farberware and T-Fal user, not the cheapest, not the most expensive and I've been eyeing upgrading my essential cookware for some time. Specifically-- as my cooking skills advance I could use pans that can also go in the oven-- which my current T Fal and Farberware cannot. Doing dicing in the pan is a no-go on the nonstick surfaces (I've ruined some, knowing I shouldn't do it, but needing...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment