Incredible, with the right technique
If, like some pros, you like to grip the top of the blade between your thumb and index finger, forward of the bolster, and wrap the rest of your fingers around the handle, this knife is hard to beat. Such a grip is said to give better control, straighter cuts, and narrower slices than wrapping all fingers around the handle allows.
Yesterday I took a knife-handling techniques course offered by a Wusthof rep at a local shop and was amazed by how quickly this knife turned carrots, celery, and nearly anything else into neat slices and chunks. Using the grip described above, one merely rolls the knife back onto the item being cut, lifts the back only, and repeats, sliding the food into the knife. The front of the blade merely rolls and slides on the cutting board, and is never lifted. (Compared to this, the instructor said my lift-and-chop technique was fairly effective, but abusive! *L*) With this knife, you could cut a carrot or celery into neat, thin little slices in less time...
Invest in exceptional knives
As a home cook, it took me quite awhile to decide to invest in an excellent knife. I can't stress enough what a difference it makes. This classic 8 inch chef's knife was my first Wusthof. It has exceptional heft and balance, fits comfortably into my hand (I have smallish hands, so this was an initial concern) and, despite my fears and my experiences with other knives, I have yet to cut myself. A cheap, dull knife is more dangerous than a good, sharp one. This knife never slips, it cuts evenly and cleanly, and I *never* have to saw.
In addition to discount store block knives (a waste of money, despite them being so much cheaper), I've regularly used Chicago Cutlery and strongly prefer the Wusthof. It is much easier to clean (no wood handle to harbor microbes), contours comfortably into my hand (CC does not), and I find it holds its sharp edge more readily (CC needs frequent sharpening).
When I finally decided to buy it, I went to a cutlery store and tried out the Henckles and the...
the best tool of the trade
My mom, browsing my Amazon wishlist one day, saw this listed there. She emailed me immediately to ask why I would ever want a knife that is that expensive. Aren't the knives that she gave me as a housewarming gift good enough? They are dishwasher-safe and have a lifetime warranty, she reminded me.
I had to explain that while the knives she gave me were nice, they don't even compare to my Wustofs. My Wustof knives retain an amazing sharpness (even when I'm a little lazy about sharpening them). Their balance is unparalleled. The handle fits my hand perfectly. The knives that she sent me always feel dull in comparision, and the handle is simply uncomfortable.
I consider a good cook's knife to be essential for anyone who cooks. The question of which cook's knife to buy depends on the person who will be using it. There are two different questions: which model to purchase, and which length to purchase.
There are two main knife manufacturers: Wustof and Henckels. I think...
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments :
Post a Comment