Expensive and worth every penny!
ORIGINAL REVIEW WRITTEN IN 1-2009: The Kitchen Aid Pro Line burr grinder has been sitting next to my drip coffee maker for more than a week and it effortlessly became part of my morning routine after its first use! It is solid, quiet, quick and grinds beans evenly with no static mess.
BACK STORY: I have owned burr and conical burr coffee grinders for more than 20 years. Most recently, I owned the Bodum conical burr grinder and it died after maybe 5 years of daily use. I did quite a bit of research and decided on the Breville conical burr grinder Breville BCG450XL Conical Burr Grinder as a replacement. The reviews on Amazon rate the Breville very highly for its price class but I was extremely disappointed when I received it. I found it was extremely lightweight and flimsy in construction. Other than the burrs, it's made of plastic. Worst of all I couldn't get the burrs (which had to be removed for...
Best Compromise for the Price
I recently purchased this KitchenAid KPCG 100 Pro Line Series Burr Coffee Mill, after sorting through numerous coffee grinder reviews when my Baratza Maestro Plus burned up. My first coffee grinder, 30 years ago, was a blade grinder that worked, even better if you shook it while grinding, but had many limitations and was fairly inconsistent in grinding. My next, 25 years ago, was a Braun burr grinder that was certainly better than the blade grinder but not particularly consistent in grind size or capacity. Then 7 years ago I bought a Baratza Maestro Plus (branded under Solis) that was a very good grinder for French Press and Drip. It would do expresso but not consistently like a Rocky Rancilio--which was more than double the cost of the Maestro Plus.
I decided to try the KPCG 100 which is a second version of the original. I selected it because you could thoroughly clean it, take it apart with a screwdriver and allen wrench, adjust the burr grinders, the ground coffee...
Yeah. you want this!
You know how you occasionally really love your job? I had one of those moments. I work in Quality Assurance at Whirpool,(who owns KitchenAid). I had always wanted this grinder,.....but the price. Then one day, we have a KitchenAid sale at work....this grinder...new...$75...yeah. As others have said, it is built INCREDIBLY well. It is going to be around ALOT longer than you. The grind is extremely even. 2 days before I purchased this, I had bought the Cuisinart Supreme Burr Grinder. There was as much dust as grind, which led to very bitter coffee. Within 5 minutes of bringing this KA home, I had done a test grind of it and the Cuisinart to compare. Within 10 minutes, the Cuisinart was packed back in its box ready to be returned. It was night and day. I had my first cup, with the same coffee as usual, and the difference in taste removed all doubt from my choice. To the person who said it wobbles on the counter,(as well as a replacement) uh..put a level on that counter.
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments :
Post a Comment